Saturday 5 July 2008

My First Week in Chatel

The word Chatel means castle. It is a cluster of buildings..maybe 10-20 surrounded by farmland. The beauty is unbelievable here. In some ways it reminds me of my childhood growing up on a farm in Oregon, but Lake Geneva and Mont Blanc make this location "over-the-top" magnificent. I think the birds stop singing only briefly during the night. The flowers are gorgeous and tended by our base director's wife. Her name is Renate, and she is a great lady.

Since the bread making was going to take 10 hrs of my time each week, they took that duty away before I started and tripled my hospitality responsibilities. What is kind of funny is the fact for hospitality, I need to have a day for ironing. We iron pillow cases, sheets, and tablecloths. I used to iron for my grandma... so once again it is something from my childhood...interesting how God works, huh?!

God is doing some "surgery" on my heart these days. My base director, Thomas, told me that the crying has only begun....I bet most of you are glad you are not having to deal with my tears. :>)

On the 4th of July, the 8 Americans decided to have a bonfire and smores. One of the staff wives, Kim, had an American flag, tablecloth, "flat cookies", Swiss chocolates and marshmallows set out. (They don't have graham crackers or Hershey bars in this part of Switzerland.) It was fun, and the whole base was invited.

Tonight we are having a BBQ and the visiting Brazilian team will entertain us.

This a.m., my roommate from Madagascar and I cleaned our room, cleaned the bathroom and shower and then I showed her this quiet place to sit and pray. I prayed for our families in English and she prayed for our families in Malagasy. We both ended up crying. Simone speaks mostly French and broken English. You all know how much French I don't speak. It is a challenge to communicate, but we laugh a lot. :>) Simone is a pastor along with her husband in Madagascar. I learned this week that Madagascar is one of the poorest countries in the world. The GDP per capita in the U.S. is $43,500. The GDP per capita in Madagascar is $900.

I miss all of you so very much, but I also know so strongly that God put me in this place at this time. My greatest prayer need now is that I would truly learn to trust God my Father as my Provider and my Comforter.

Please let me know of your prayer needs! Lots of love to all!

No comments: