Saturday 26 July 2008

It's Another Beautiful Saturday

At breakfast this a.m. about 7 of us were sitting around discussing cultural differences. It is interesting to live in community with people from different cultures, and to realize what is acceptable in one part of the world is offensive in another area. We discussed grief, standing in line, talking face-to-face, and personal property....it was very insightful. I love getting to know people from around the world!

Today I will be cleaning the bathroom and shower on our floor. I share this area with two couples, their nannies, a 15 month old, a four year old and my roommate. We each take on cleaning responsibilities for "our home".

On Saturdays, we have breakfast at 9, a sack lunch at noon, and an evening meal at 6.

I have completed my homework for this week, and I have written my newsletter, so following my cleaning duty, the rest of the day is open to whatever!

Yesterday, our small group went to a beautiful park, "Signal De Bougy". It's about 20 minutes away....we took a van, but it is also in walking distance. The challenge in walking around here is for me to not get lost. (For some people it is more of a challenge than for others...:>) I may have mentioned before that the road signs often go by the no. of minutes it takes to walk rather than miles. The thing is, the roads are narrow and are shared by cars, tractors and people. They also look a lot alike. You need to remember what cornfield you just passed from the wheatfield up ahead. I have ventured a safe distance that takes about 20 minutes to walk. I have memorized the cow pasture, cornfield and wheat field....so I have not gotten lost....I am becoming bolder so watch out, I may even walk down to the village of Essertine sur Rolle one of these days!

Until later....blessings to you all!

1 comment:

Darlene said...

Hi Elizabeth - you are bound to get rather well-acquainted with the local cows on your meanderings. Will you be there after harvest time? Your familiar fields will change drastically after that. Be sure to carry a pocketful of pebbles so you can find your way home. (Someone tried breadcrumbs and they just don't give you the same results.) Take care; you sound great. Miss seeing you. Gode bless